In the UK the are called newsagents, and fit your description pretty
well.

W H Smith is slightly different, whilst it has news stands and small
shops in railway stations and in airports, it also has larger high
street shops that are principally book shops, although they will sell
newspapers and magazines.

Phil (trigpoint)