2013/11/30 bulwersator <bulwersa...@zoho.com>

> Tons of smaller polygons, city-sized megamultipolygons seems to sound like
> a bad idea (and with small ones result gets drawbacks of both idea).

+1, there is no real disadvantage in using lots of small polygons, but
there are a lot of advantages in doing so, mainly that the structure is
simpler and easier to edit and refine, the rendering (or other data usage)
of small areas is faster because more efficient (because you only have to
look at what is in your screen bounding box and do not have to care about
huge multipolygons with (potentially) hundreds of ways and (ten)thousands
of nodes which extend way beyond your area of interest.

The key advantage is that they keep complexity low and ease editing and
maintenance, while huge multipolygons are a nightmare.

In case of complex borders (intent with more than ~2-4 nodes) between
neighbouring areas I'd use small multipolygons to avoid complex overlapping
ways.

cheers,
Martin