On 01. des. 2013 18:11, Peter Wendorff wrote:
Am 01.12.2013 16:05, schrieb Egil Hjelmeland:
On 01. des. 2013 15:28, Peter Wendorff wrote:
Hi,
I'm not happy with contact:webcam, as the contact namespace IMHO serves
a different purpose.
contact:webcam could define whom to contact for questions regarding the
webcam, or whom to contact BY webcam (as contact:phone is for how to
contact e.g. a shop by phone).
1) I would change the order, as it's part of the webcam information, not
part of the contact information, which would lead to webcam:*
2) I would use url instead of contact, if it should refer to where the
webcams output can be seen, whcih would lead to webcam:url=*

regards
Peter

Check https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:contact
Yes, it's defined there, but that doesn't make it a good solution.
It's used 180 times worldwide according to taginfo.

A check through first 50 values listed in taginfo [1] reveals:
1) all of them are website urls
2) most of the URLs are dead or wrong
3) the valid ones are mixed: some refer to the image, some to a website
containing the image, some probably even to a fixed image (not updated),
but I couldn't check that properly.
4) 80 values are from the same domain and refer to cameras of the same
operator or organization:
http://www1.eot.state.ma.us/cam_updated_images/*.jpg

To conclude this I would say:
The tag is not yet used much (especially due to (4)).
It is not used in a unified way (see (3))

Therefore it's not useable in the current form.

And as it doesn't fit semantically (it's not a URL to contact someone,
but to see something), I don't see a big issue in "fixing" that by
moving the tag to another key and to define it better.

regards
Peter

[1] http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/contact%3Awebcam#values

Do you have any reference to back up your claim that contact:*= is intended only to provide contact info for reaching humans?

As I have stated before, I do not care too much about what the key is, as long as it is documented.

As for now, I think contact:webcam is best because of previous work:
 - it is already in https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:contact
- it is proposed in https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Extended_tags_for_Key:Surveillance
 - it is actually used, although no much

Inconsistent usage, dead links for contact=webcam is IMHO not a valid argument against its use. It is just a consequence of poor documentation, so we do not get the full power of crowd sourcing.

Regards
Egil