On 04/03/2014 17:15, François Lacombe wrote:

    Along railways, motorways, high-voltage lines, riverbeds, roads,
    sewers, tunnels... Pretty much every type of right-of-way is used
    and the telecom link is part of it. Rarely does the
    telecommunications link exist on its own, except as directly
    buried cables that exist in rural locations.

I don't agree. "Except in rural location" may concern some important distance.

Yes, those rural cables buried directly are long ones and therefore represent a significant share of the network's total length. Opposite case: sewer-borne cables - short, numerous and urban.

Come on Jean-Marc, @AlertePelleteuz on Twitter wouldn't report so many optical fibre outage with an efficient and reliable French DICT system.

Indeed there is room for improvement - we are working on it.

As a data producer I can't know what user would be finally interested in.
I see things in my environment and looking for the best way to legally, responsibly and technically add it to the map.

If you take a major drinking water pipeline such as Aqueduc de l'Avre or the TRAPIL fuel pipeline network, even though they are buried they are associated with a surface trail so clearly visible that one may almost consider setting landuse=pipeline on top of them. They are an important part of how one may describe their location, even though their main feature is underground.

In the case of telecommunications infrastructure, I believe that the issue is visibility. I am convinced that mapping features that are not visible directly or indirectly is not going to produce data that Openstreetmap contributors can maintain - and that it should therefore not be present.

That leaves many telecommunications features that are excellent Openstreetmap fodder: hosting centers, central offices, street cabinets - we had those discussions before. But visible cables or cable-bearing infrastructure are going to be a very rare exception to the norm of invisibility - better take that into account early to set limited goals and expectations... Unlike your effort on the electrical network which is turning out very nicely !

Well... Back on topic...

Let's take inspiration from https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dpipeline and propose:

man_made=pipeline
type=telecom
location=underground
operator=*

The German man_made=pipeline page already proposes type=telecom
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:Tag:man_made%3Dpipeline

And on the basis of https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:pipeline%3Dmarker you would have:

pipeline=marker
type=telecom
operator=*
ref=*

The key here is to set the hypothesis that you are going to map not cables but cable paths, which may contain more than one cable - in my view, that justifies using the pipeline tagging scheme.