Am 13.03.2014 15:56, schrieb fly:
On 13.03.2014 15:37, Fernando Trebien wrote:
But do you think that earth and ground are different kinds of surface?
Well, I would consider earth as earth where ground could be earth but
does not have to be.

All together, I think we could get rid of at least one out of the three
tags after updating the descriptions but this will not that easy with
existing tags in common use.

aehm, well - and which one would you get rid of?

Some times ago I remember a likewise identical discussion at the german forum.
AFAIK:

ground
Used for ways where the underground consists of different and often changing parts like rock, earth, vegetation (generic value) - as you say above.

earth
Used for ways where the underground consists of - well, earth (natural sand) constantly.

dirt
See above - the term seems to be outside of OSM used for a "man made" / constructed work - which inside OSM seems to be the (defined) value "compacted".

So I would get rid of dirt, but keep 'earth' beside 'ground' as a useful value (smooth walking on hiking trails) .

Georg