On Fri, 2014-03-14 at 22:44 +0900, John Willis wrote:
> Since OSM uses British English, what word would you pair with road, as in
> "dirt road?"
>
> Earthen road?
>
> Inquiring minds want to know.

There is no usage of dirt road in the UK most, if not all, public roads
are hard surfaced (although the quality can vary).

I have certainly never heard the term Earthen Road, it is probably one
of those instances where we should adopt the American Dirt, like we use
sidewalk. Most Brits will be familiar the term from movies. I have
driven on dirt roads in Canada, we have nothing like that.

Phil (trigpoint)