I wonder what you mean by "Is there any interest of using it on
countries?". It's been defined for countries, and is used on it, as
you said.

You could simply tag the country with "driving_side=right/left" and
use the same (but with the opposite value) on those streets.

That said, I think driving side also implies "driver side" inside the
vehicle. Though I find it very unlikely to see this information in use
one day, it's best to define this meaning early on. A change of driver
side requires either a change of vehicle or some special vehicle that
can drive on both sides. In the case of your city, driving side
changes, but driver side doesn't. You could include that in the
description of "opposite".

One more thing: this only makes sense if there is no physical barrier
between the opposite traffic directions. If there is, then it's just a
separate way with no special change in driving side.