> To make it less ambiguous and easier I would deprecate forward/backward
> completely for nodes and advice to use cardinal coordinates for all nodes.

I think that would be ok for traffic_sign:direction=*,
but not for traffic_signals:direction=* or direction=* when used with
highway=stop/give_way, because it wouldn't be as easy to know to which
highway's direction the highway=traffic_signals/stop/giveway applies to.

IMHO we should use relations for cases like this (see turn restrictions,
> via nodes, for reference)

+1