> Besides, I don't think we need to be quite literal with "place_of_worship"
> only being tagged for the actual specific object where one does worshiping.

I hear what you're saying, but with a tag that's used 600K times (on 226K
ways), we have to look at actual usage for part of our guidance. *Totally*
unscientific, but I used overpass turbo to zoom in on multiple areas around
the world and look at ways that are tagged amenity=place_of_worship, and
the vast majority appeared to be building outlines. Using it for the
grounds seems like an outlier. (if someone else wants to do more robust
research, I'd be happy to see it! :)  So, while using place of worship for
the grounds may be correct in certain case, in the majority of cases, the
common usage seems to leave a question about how to tag the grounds.