> Il giorno 18/ago/2014, alle ore 22:00, SomeoneElse
> <li...@mail.atownsend.org.uk> ha scritto:
>
> They _exactly_ fit the British English definition of a cycleway, actually (in
> fact, most places that I've been apart from Germany) - you can both walk and
> cycle on them.

In Germany, France and Italy (at least) you can't walk on a cycleway by
default, i.e. unless there are additional signs permitting pedestrians. Thus a
combined footway&cycleway is something different than a cycleway.

FWIW, the documented "default" in OSM (if such thing as defaults is accepted
anyway) is foot=no according to this page linked from the cycleway definition:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_tags_for_routing/Access-Restrictions

Cheers,
Martin