André I think you missed a major thing about cartography (and topography).

As OSM contributors, we're not cartographers but topographers... we record
topographic data.

Then cartographers use that data, make choices to have some objets of THEIR
choice visible on the map THEY are making with the data we collected.
These choices are made with contraints: scale (no bus_stop at zoom 6), map
use (trucks don't care about bicycle parkings).
These choices are not done at the data level, but at the stylesheet level.

If you're not happy of the cartographer's choices... become a cartographer
yourself !

OSM gives you that freedom as anybody can use the same data, and the same
tool to do the map matching our choices by designing their own stylesheet.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cartographer
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/topographer

I'm on both sides... topographer as OSM contributor, and cartographer make
maps with OSM data.
As a cartographer, I will not use such a tag which does not give me control
anymore on what appears or not on the map I'm making.

> On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 8:36 PM, André Pirard <a.pirard.pa...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Yes, this sentence is misunderstood, and by many repliers apparently.
>> It means that once Mapnik uses a (defined) rendering you cannot change it
>> (RENDER is ignored).
>> The main idea behind RENDER is not coloring objects, and I agree it
>> shouldn't, but showing them.
>> And the renderer can do that with any single color they like.
>>

> Basically, all renderers already decide what they print or not. Adding a
> flag saying "hey don't forget my feature" will not change this principle.
> Also with your tag, the same feature may or may not be displayed on the
> map, depending if you added your RENDER tag or not. Your proposal have no
> chance to be adopted for these reasons.
>
> Pieren

Christian Quest - OpenStreetMap France