> Another thing that comes to my mind: maybe we could indeed create this
> catalogue of tens of thousands of business types - who if not us will be
> able to do such a work? This doesn't imply the mapper would have to scroll
> long lists of thousands of entries, it could be well structured from coarse
> to fine.

I too wondered about this problem. The current shop/craft tagging
seems *very* broken for everything non-standard. We can't expect
people to invent new tags for every type of service or merchandise,
such as "tractor repair" or "chimneys". "You can use any tags you
want", but think of the software, how can it deliver relevant results
then?

Think what people *need*. When they go to Google Maps, they don't look
for a supermarket or grocery, they look for some specialized
stores/services.
Another issue is that people passionately add OSM notes for businesses
there's no approved tagging for.

I too, thought independently, about these human-readable description
tags like shop:merchandise:<language> and how idiots (of which we have
an abundance already) or diary spammers (who laugh in admins' faces)
will abuse it. But who knows, this may be a viable solution.
Compare with "Business Name" at
https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177?hl=en&ref_topic=4540086
.

So, I checked how Google does this. And here you have all the 2200+
POI categories you can choose from when you add your
business/institution/whatever.

http://pastebin.com/BHqXvkS4

It seems they flattened their hierarchy here, for instance every
cuisine has its own restaurant tag.. I guess internally there's some
tree of categories, so that searching non-specific terms returns
meaningful results.

Anyway, our shop/service tagging system is quite flawed in its current
form and is suitable for consumption only at a basic level.

This presents an issue that too few people think of OSM as an
ecosystem. We have disjoint teams (or individuals) developing
tagging/website/editors/map style/map applications. This isn't good
for creating a map that would serve users' needs (couldn't help myself
but write the proverbial "displace Google Maps" ;-) )

Greetings
Michał