I'm surprised nobody so far mentioned Mapbox's Maki icon set:

https://www.mapbox.com/maki/

Another thing maps based on OSM lack is clickability (like Google Maps
or Bing Maps). It's less CPU intensive than placing markers
afterwards. Maybe there's some clever way to embed clickable spots
information (just coordinates) into the tiles themselves.
Michał