On Sep 20, 2014, at 4:00 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 20, 2014 at 4:59 PM, Richard Welty <rwe...@averillpark.net> wrote:
>
> On 09/20/2014 05:42 PM, Tomasz Ka┼║mierczak wrote:
>> I would like to suggest making the paved key for highways (and probably
>> other types of elements) official. Taginfo for paved:
>> http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/paved#values
>>
>> The above shows that the key is already being used, but the Wiki doesn't
>> describe this key, instead redirecting Key:paved to the article about
>> Key:surface.
>>

> -1
>
> duplicative
>

> Seconded

It might be considered duplicative, but what should a data consumer do if
confronted with a surface=* value that is unknown to it (and the wiki)? We
aren't talking human intelligence here where an informed guess is possible.
Should such a way be considered paved or unpaved for purposes of routing? From
that point of view, Richard's proposal gives a lot of clarity.