> I would not call sand "paved" but when we look at e.g.gravel / fine_gravel
> the opinions will vary. The OSM based Openfietsmap
> <http://www.openfietsmap.nl/home/legenda>(cycling map for Garmin devices)
> has yet another value called "semi-paved".  All based on current OSM tags.
> (surface, tracktype, smoothness etc. ) In my experience this works pretty
> well.

"semi-paved" does not make any sense to me (besides maybe something divided
in two along its direction, (that would probably be half-paved)) . I've
looked the word "paved" up in an online dictionary and it seems to confirm
what I thought it would mean.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pave

1
*:*  to lay or cover with material (as asphalt or concrete) that forms a
firm level surface for travel
2
*:*  to cover firmly and solidly as if with paving material
3
*:*  to serve as a covering or pavement
<http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pavement> of

1 is dealing with asphalt or concrete (firm level surface)
2 is dealing with different stuff (as if it was paved), i.e. comparing to
3 is not useful for us here

gravel does not seem to fit into any of these categories. Maybe this is a
language problem? E.g. in German you could translate "paved" as either
"gepflastert"/"asphaltiert"/"betoniert" or as "befestigt", where the latter
would indeed include gravel, fine gravel etc. (but in these cases "paved"
would not be a suitable translation of "befestigt").

cheers,
Martin