On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 8:16 PM, Pee Wee <piewi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> No it not a language problem  or a dictionary issue. It's about an OSM data
> consumer (openfietmap)  that thinks it is important to for cyclist to know
> what type of paving can be expected.  Paved, unpaved and semi-paved to keep
> it simple. I think this is OK and it works for me.

I think the main issue raised in this thread is to decide if each data
consumer can decide alone what surface is paved or not (using this
"surface" key and its hundreds values) or if we are able to find a
common definition stored in the osm db (using this "paved" key).
With the first option, the "paved" attribut can be inconsistent
between applications. With the second option, the "paved" attribut is
subject of personal interpretations from the contributors but this
could be moderated when the surface key is also present.

Pieren