On Oct 21, 2014, at 8:21 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> To me analyzing the given examples it seems as if a mall was necessarily a
> closed place while a shopping center would/could have outdoor connectivity.

Pedestrian centric promenade surrounded by shops is a mall.  car parking
centric access, with shops adjacent to parking is a Shopping Centre.

> They appear to be similar as they both have several independent shops and
> collective facilities like toilets and parking.

Shopping centres almost never have any shared amenities at all. The shops
themselves provide everything inside, especially toilets.
The Shopping Centre's defining feature is shared parking with adjacent shops.
Every example I used before and will use next has no public toilets whatsoever.

> Maybe a mall has to have restaurants and other eating facilities, while a
> shopping center doesn't have to (but could have).

A shopping centre may have a lot of fast food, but it will never be or have a
food court (at least in the US and Japan).  There are no drive-through food
courts. I can't park my car in front of the individual shops in a food court.

A mall has a designated, self-contained section full of various fast food with
shared seating and amenities for the pedestrian visitors to the mall.

>  I think small sets of shops with collective parking won't qualify as "mall"
> but they might constitute a shopping center.

Yep.

Shopping Centres can be big - it's all about car centric access to each
individual shop.

https://goo.gl/maps/O0BXI - roadside shopping centre
https://goo.gl/maps/3b98e  - two shopping centres near a freeway exit.
https://goo.gl/maps/cVLrw - a really large shopping centre

But Malls are massive - and most shops are accessed only through the center of
the mall, by walking the center.

https://goo.gl/maps/n0RqP   a single mall surrounded by 8 or 9 shopping_centres.

Everyone in San Deigo knows of that mall. Not everyone could name the stores or
the shopping centres around it. Which is why we tag malls separately.

https://goo.gl/maps/ofSO5 The Big Hanyu Aeon mall in Japan - surrounded by
houses and rice fields.

It has more shops than all 9 of the shopping centres in the above example put
together - almost all accessed only from inside the mall.
That is a Mall.

That "6 shops in a row" used as example #2  example in a earlier post isn't a
mall whatsoever.

- usually a shopping_centre rarely has _any_  shared amenities besides
parking/access
                - a mall would have shared facilities - bathrooms, security,
lost & found, package wrapping services, and other shopper-centric services.

Shopping_centres would usually have a shared front only, adjacent to parking
(usually ringing it).
                -  a Mall has a pedestrian exclusive area (indoor or outdoor)
surrounded by shops, completely separated from all other forms of access (no
cars).

Shopping_centres (almost) never have shared access between a individual stores
- you always have to leave one store, returning to the shared footway to access
the next.
                  - a Mall has shared entrances between large anchor stores
(entering a dept store and exiting into the center of the mall, for example)

Shopping_centres have no designated areas beyond the stores.
                - A mall has "food courts", shared seating and meeting areas,
stages, event areas. some even have attractions like a theme park (carousel,
other kids rides)

Shopping centres are usually all 1 story (but can be very wide) Occaisionally
there is a second floor (or mixed use commerical/residential, which is hard to
tag right now) and only basic foot access - It's almost all car centric, or
adjacent to some other source of existing traffic (station, university)
                - A mall is primarily pedestrian based access to a majority of
the shops, and often contain multilevel promenades, with elevators, escalators,
and bridges connecting everything, either indoors or outdoors.

OSM is missing tens of thousands of shopping_centres

Javbw

 elaborate systems of walkways and escalators connecting the pedestrian access
to the other stores.