As Dudley said, "Haulage contractor" is standard British-English for firms (and
individuals) who own and operate Heavy Goods Vehicles (over 3.5 t IIRC) to
transport a whole range of loads. As others have said logistics is about the
whole chain of processes rather than specifically individual movements.

A more generic term might be "road freight".

Jerry

On Thursday, 9 October 2014, 23:35, johnw <jo...@mac.com> wrote:

>Distribution logistics is the *planning* of moving goods from a factory to the
>customer - the post office isn't a logistics company. Fedex or UPS, wich will
>pick up, store, warehouse, and ship another company's goods as they request
>them to be shipped to the customer for them is a Distribution Logistics
>company. - they plan it (to guarantee delivery) and move it all too.
>

>It seems that Haulage is like for ore transport or bulk goods - not something
>you'd do with a truck on the highway.
>

>I think it is something commonly described as a logistics company.
>

>Courrier just delivers a package for a to b for a fee, like a local or
>regional delivery company.
>

>maybe
>commercial=logistics &
>

>logistics=Distribution
>logistics=Courrier
>logistics=Trucking  to pick up the remainder, as there are a myriad of special
>delivery places - piano movers, livestock delivery, boat movers,  for example.
>

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truck_driver#Job_categories

missed a couple:

logistics would also cover the intermodal companies - moving shipping
containers from boat to train to truck, as well as moving companies (people who
move your house contents to another house) and storage/delivery companies.

logistics=yard   [for freight yards]
logistics=warehouse [for the gigantic warehouses they use]
logistics=intermodal
logistics= movers

Javbw

Javbw