Interesting interpretation of history. Slightly different version:

The path tag was introduced by people who couldn't deal with
highway=cycleway being shared with pedestrians, and wanted something less
mode-specific than highway=footway and highway=cycleway.

In practice, this use is fairly limited: highway=path has been used far
more for unmade paths in field and forest.

The footway/cycleway issue largely continues to be dealt with by the
meaning of cycleway being a bit country-specific; in some countries
highway=cycleway (in cities, alongside roads) means
probably-not-for-pedestrians, and in others it means
probably-for-pedestrians-too-so-cycle-with-due-care.

Personally I use highway=footway+bicycle=yes if it's low quality and legal
for cycling, and highway=cycleway (which implies foot=yes in the UK) if
it's halfway decent for cycling. And highway=path in field and forest.

Richard