On 17/11/2014 15:14, althio forum wrote:
Martin, Jean-Marc, I appreciate the feedback. You are voicing some
good elements. I am not totally convinced yet about generic vs
specific. Fairly generic tag like 'man_made=cabinet' sounds very
sensible as first level. Furthermore I do feel other proposal I have
seen like 'street_' and 'technical_' are not necessary and not even
useful.

[Derailing a bit]
IMO it is a poor justification to compare a brand new tag (here
'street_cabinet') with the 10-year old established name of the project
'Openstreetmap'.

Even more... Historical justification is sometimes inevitable but
often it is rather unsatisfactory in my mind. [..]

I may have been stretching the 'Openstreetmap' case a bit. I agree with your arguments - my personal choice would be technical_cabinet. I nevertheless chose to approve the proposal because I considered this issue minor compared to all the work that went in organizing the scheme... The issue smelt a lot like bikeshedding to me and experience in free software projects shows that it is usually better to avoid focus on that. I may be wrong - it could also be a fundamental modeling issue that we will regret eternally.

One may have suspected a French telco etymological bias as we call those cabinets 'armoires de rue' - literally 'street cabinet'... But as the proposal's page history and its approval signatures show, the consensus is actually international. So for once, the French telco mafia is not to blame.