On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 7:27 PM, Bryce Nesbitt <bry...@obviously.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 10:51 PM, Marc Gemis <marc.ge...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Maybe they are sometimes tagged in another way as shop=bicycle +
>> service:bicycle:repair=yes and service:bicycle:retail=no
>> (see http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop=bicycle?uselang=en-US)
>> or is this incorrect ?
>
> Similar to "amenity=drinking_water;potable=no",
> it's problematic to tag something and then try to reverse the meaning
> with another tag.
> For example non-bicycle data consumers won't interpret the subtags,
> and will think there's a shop
> at the location.
>
> Note:
> A similar concept exists for skis.  Ski repair stations have
> screwdrivers, a table,
> sometimes a wax removal device, and other tools for fixing skis and
> snowboards.
>
> In each case the "operator" is normally the property owner or manager
> of the property.
>
> ---------------
> If you want to "bikeshed" the tagging, perhaps seek
> "amenity=repair_station;repair_station:type=[bicycle/ski/auto]".
> Or just be happy and find some repair stations to map.

Maybe

amenity=bicycle_diy_station
repair=yes  (I'm sure you can name space this if you want*)
cleaning=yes
truing=yes

What I'm saying is that I've actually not seen a diy bicycle repair
station, but I've seen the other two and tagged one of them. It would
be in the best interest of everybody to be as inclusive as possible in
the basic tag so also including other sports might be usefull (I don't
know depends on what people are tagging at this moment).