Hm. I think the railway guys have a clearly defined list of possible values
(there are 6 possible values in the wiki). This way software can process
the data, because it is known which values are valid and which not.
Checking this would be much more difficult (for data comsumers, but also
for editors like JOSM or iD) if the list is less clear.

We have 330 361 elements with the “usage” key in the database. Almost all
of them (329 036) are combined with the “railway” key, so this is the
current state in the database. I agree with you if you say that “usage”
sounds like a very general key and not a railway specific key. So the
railway guys have just been a little faster than the power guys and
“occupied” this key. I would accept this and search another key to avoid
unnecessary conflicts. I don’t insist in “power:usage”. It can also be
something else, but I would introduce a new key for this.

cu

Lukas Sommer