On 04/12/2014, althio forum <althio.fo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> - psv > public_service or public_transport
>>> - hov > carpool
>>> - hgv > heavy_goods
>>
>> while I would support this move, I think
>> we should spell these out and not reduce the information
>> so psv should become "public_service_vehicle",
>
> I think that "_vehicle" is unnecessary in the context of defining
> specific land transport mode.
> That is why I dropped it. We also know that agricultural=* and
> emergency=* are refering to vehicles here.

Inthe case of hgv, it's the vehicle that is heavy, not the goods. So
heavy_goods is a really bad fit imho.

I'm also not a fan ofnthe concept of a "shortened expansion". HOV is
new to me, but psv and hgv (abbreviated or not) are legally-defined
terms. If you take one word away from it, it's not the same concept
anymore (defined by the layman intead of by the lawmaker).

As for the idea of expanding those abbreviations, I don't care that
much. Many roadsigns litterally say "hgv", and you'll force routing
software to pick up another value. Not sure it's wprth the increased
readability.