On 01/01/2015 23:34, Rainer Fügenstein wrote:

pipeline mapping is the field of a small minority of mappers.
considering this logic, established tags in fields of "minority
interests" can never be changed, unless it becomes the interest of the
majority.

You might be surprised. As well as people who are "interested in pipelines" they're often also a useful navigation feature (if not always as obvious as, say, an overhead power line). Near me in the English midlands features such as the Derwent Aqueduct and underground fuel supply lines become very obvious once you start recognising the features - and they have very different features on the surface because of the different thing being carried. In many ways it's similar to the electricity supply tagging changes that have happened over the years - those changes didn't always appear to consider the usefulness of those features to people using them for navigation. In other places overground pipelines are very important to people interested in wildlife migration, for example.

apart from that, the main criticism is the change of "type=*" to
"sustance=*" (which was also done in the changeset) as a result of the
proposal. I see a point here, considering that the change of a tag
affects map styles, software, ... as mentioned by SomeoneElse.

To be clear, I don't think that anyone's criticising the change itself, just the notification of it. If people are using existing data they need to get some warning that it's about to change (separately from the more "in depth" discussions on the tagging list about how best to tag something new). The only thing that the "proposal process" in the wiki says about existing data is "never use a vote result as a justification for large-scale re-tagging of existing objects". Now two pipelines clearly isn't "large-scale", but it would still have been nice for data consumers to know that the change was happening.

Cheers,

Andy