John F. Eldredge wrote:
> That is how I had interpreted access=destination also. Just because
> it has a specific legal meaning in the UK doesn't mean the tag can't
> be used elsewhere in the world.

Absolutely - this is true of pretty much every highway= value and they, too,
have been adapted for use elsewhere.

I'd echo the call not to use access=private on housing estates. Last year I
was working on a (commercial) project to plan thousands of delivery routes
in the urban US, using OSM data and routing software. The only serious issue
we encountered was exactly this: the router couldn't plan journeys to
estates where each road was tagged with access=private.

We could have told the router to ignore access=private, but this would have
created wrong routes in other situations. Using access=destination would
have prevented this.

cheers
Richard