Hallo,

I am working on some ideas for a proposal [1] to double represent
cycletracks and footways. It is at the very beginning  at the moment and I
haven't made up my mind about how to do that.

While I was researching different stuff, I noticed that the proposals to
footway=*[2] and sidewalk=* [3] haven't been voted on. Yet, it sais "Do not
use footway=* on other than highway
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway> =footway
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dfootway> " in a warning
box on the Key:footway wiki page [4]. It appears that this box has been
added by a user only 3 days after posting a comment on the discussion page.
[5]
Also a overpass query [1] as of 2015-01-14  has return around 40.000 uses of
footway=* on highway=*roads* only, excluding hw=footway/cycleway/path.
However there are 500.000 uses of sidewalk=*. While this shows a majority
use for sidewalk=*, I can't see why footway=* should be deprecated for
*roads* nor did I find a related discussion about this.

Could someone point me in the right direction for more information on that
topic?

Yours
Hubert

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Hubert87/DoubleRepresentation