On 20/01/2015 6:55 PM, tagging-requ...@openstreetmap.org wrote:
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 08:55:37 +0100
From: Volker Schmidt<vosc...@gmail.com>
To: "Tag discussion, strategy and related tools"
        <tagging@openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [Tagging] Tagging road illumination quality

As I said earlier, I am also a hobby photographer. The light levels we are
talking about are anyway in a range that old-fashioned hand-held light
meters are useless.

Went out last night .. light level pointing up to street light was 0.0 lux... so less than 0.1 lux. Meaning I could not measure it this way. I'll think about it. A talk to an expert might be worth while?

As I said earlier,  I am also a physicist and hate using a scale, expressed
in numbers, if I have no way of defining what each level means. Therefore
guessing the intensity and then putting in a scale 1 ... 10 (to make it
look precise) is out for me.

On the other hand as a cyclist I know very well if the illumination of a
cyclepath at night is none (no lamps at all) or poor or normal or excellent
(or whatever verbal scale you invent). So I will try, at least locally such
an approach. And in order not to upset things I will use the
lit=yes
lit:level=poor|sufficient|good
approach

Volker

Lord Kelvin “When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meager and unsatisfactory kind; it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have scarely, in your thoughts advanced to the stage of science.”

The suggested tag lit:poor|sufficient|good is subjective - you will get different answers from different people.