On 19.01.2015 17:41, Clifford Snow wrote:
> If these are conscription numbers, why not use the addr:conscriptionnumber
> tag? It is document in the wiki [1] and appears to be in use. It would also
> appear more accurate and less likely to lead to misuse.
>
> [1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key%3Aaddr%3Aconscriptionnumber

Sadly, that wiki page is not referenced where it should. Particularly,
there's no mention of addr:conscriptionnumber on
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:addr. That's the reason why we do not
use addr:conscriptionnumber in Austria.

One further reason may be that we find it difficult sometimes to distinguish
housenumbers and conscriptionnumbers. Actually, we use housenumber
(Hausnummer) as the hypernym for orientation number (Orientierungsnummer)
and conscription number (Konskriptionsnummer). The orientation number is the
number to be used in conjuntion with a street name. However, the street name
is omitted on many housenumber plates, so you won't know for sure if it's an
orientation number or a conscription number when you are just passing by.
You need to look for name signs on the nearby streets. But sometimes you'll
find a settlement name on them, leaving you in doubt. As a consequence,
addr:street, addr:hamlet and addr:place are used almost interchangably in
many rural settlements.