While I am no skilled programmer I agree with the next points:
(any guru is welcome to disregard my following opinion if he wants to)

> Just because one can use a regular expression to grep out a certain meaning
> doesn't mean it's a good thing to do and will always work.

Regexps are AFAIK quite controversial because they are efficient at
some tasks but also can be hard to maintain -- especially if poorly
documented.

OSM is an open project for open data and we should strive not to
create unnecessary hurdles for access and use of this data.

OSM is not only for developers but also for experts in their fields
(but not computing/programming), students, local communities and any
citizen.

Regexps should not be used or misused as peer recognition or trial to
check whether someone is worthy to access all levels of data.
"It is easy for any good enough programmer": not a good argument in my book.

> [key:subkey=*] gives the flexibility to distinguish between equal and
> distinguished importance

I agree that it is more flexible, gives more freedom to sort and add details.
If I am not mistaken [key:subkey=*] can do everything as
[key=values;separated;by;semicolon] and more. The reverse is not true.