(This discussion originated on talk - crossposted to tagging on Malcolm's suggestion)

On 26/01/2015 21:16, Malcolm Herring wrote:
On 26/01/2015 19:23, Jean-Marc Liotier wrote:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Harbour#Quay mentions that "a quay will normally be tagged as part of the coastline natural=coastline". Apart from that I found no clue anywhere else about how a quay should be tagged... Am I missing something ? Considering how well-used man_made=pier is, I am surprised that quays get such scant attention. man_made=quay anyone ?
To quote the IHO dictionary: "quay. A WHARF approximately parallel to the SHORELINE and accommodating ships on one side only, the other side being attached to the SHORE. It is usually of solid construction, as contrasted with the open pile construction usually used for PIERS."

So yes, your reasoning is correct & that section of the coastline that forms the quay could indeed be tagged "man_made=quay".

Yes, this is about what I had in mind:
- Either take a section of natural=coastline and overload it with man_made=quay
- Or draw a dedicated man_made=quay way on top of a natural=coastline

I have no idea which one would be best. I lean towards the first one for easier editing - ways exactly on top of each other are difficult to select.