On 2/02/2015 4:34 AM, Paul Johnson wrote:
On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 8:00 AM, Dave Swarthout <daveswarth...@gmail.com <mailto:daveswarth...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    +1 "Nobody votes because it's a borderline pointless endeavor."

Yep.
Thus things don't get approved due to lack of votes because few vote.
And few vote because even a negative vote can cause the minimum number of required votes to be exceed, enabling an acceptance.
And some want more that a simple majority in order to accept things.

 Thus the need to reform.

Ok .. I can see that compulsion on voting won't work...

So ... How about

A 3 week minimum voting period - Gives people enough time fore a holiday and then think and caste vote. From this 3 week period the proposer may close the voting if a minimum number of votes are received and a 2/3rds majority vote for or against. At 6 weeks and onwards the proposer may close the voting no matter how few votes have been received and base the acceptance or failure on a simple majority. At one year the voting closes. No option, result on simple majority, if 50/50 then the proposal passes.

This provides for a chance for people to vote, for consideration time, and at 6 weeks an incentive to vote as it can be called no matter how few have voted.

    I joined this group to effect changes in tagging things of
    interest to me. But the discussions inevitably go round and round
    with nary a thing getting resolved. If someone has what seems like
    a good idea there is always someone else who takes issue with it.

The mailing lists and just going out and tagging seem to do more good than calling convoluted proposals and voting sessions, so there's that. For best results, get a working model going first. It's not like the database is going to kick out esoterickey=unknownvalue...

    Frankly, getting anything done is just too time consuming.

Yep. Thus it needs reform.