So let us see:

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 01:12:22PM +0100, Andreas Labres wrote:
> Richard,
>
> Those "Materialseilbahnen" (ropeways for goods) are typical in the Alps to
> supply alpine huts (where everybody can get something to eat and stay
> overnight)
> with everything that is needed. The only alternative there is a helicopter
> flight...
>

> On 19.02.15 12:24, Richard Z. wrote:
> > try harder to find an english word for the special aerialway in the picture
> > becuase mappers all over the world have been using this improperly to map
> > large mining and industrial aerialways.
>
> I'd disagree that this is improper use. They are also "Materialseilbahnen"
> (ropeways for goods). There is no cabin for passengers but a loading platform
> or
> kind of hanging lorry. The principle is the same as with (hanging) cable cars
> with a track rope and a drag rope, but the technolgy is much, much simpler, as
> there is no passengers in potential danger.

well in one place you insist on a very specific type specified in the picture
and
used in the Alps which may or may not take passengers but you also say it is
fine
to use the same tagging for industrial or mining aerialways of whichever
construction.
By that definition "goods" would be good to tag any kind of aerialway
construction
which may or may not transport passengers.

I believe it would be more usefull to tag aerialways by type of construction
(gondola,
zip_line,cable_car,drag_lift,magic_carpet, funitel) and use additional tags to
say
it is used for transport of persons, goods or mixed.
As it happens we already have all the tags needed: usage=* and access=* type
tags.

We can also have more special values things like the open casket miniature
cable_car in
the picture.

Btw, an interesting case of mixed use:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-FReKw2jaO-Y/UG1s7Iq9J9I/AAAAAAAAIXI/04Z1fOD7u9I/s640/DSC_0149.JPG