On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 6:48 PM, Dave Swarthout <daveswarth...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> It sounds like the original meaning of ranger_station might have described
> what I would term a Visitor Center. After reading these responses to my
> post, and realizing that there are many parks with visitor centers (even
> here in Thailand) that cannot be tagged under the present system, its
> obvious to me that we need to add a new tag amenity=visitor_center. Visitor
> Centers range from simple to quite lavish (think Yellowstone, Denali NPs);
> these are definitely not ranger stations.

A vast number of park maps have a thing called a ranger station, with a
standard symbol (a cabin with a flag over it).

That specific symbol svg graphic, the tag, and the name all came from the
US National Park Service in fact, when
the park service donated data to Open Street Map.

There may be a reader expectation that what's called on the ground a
"ranger station" is in fact mapped as a ranger station.