On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 1:37 PM, SomeoneElse <li...@atownsend.org.uk> wrote:

> "railway=abandoned" has been used from almost year 0 in OSM to indicate
> "where the rails have been removed but the route is still visible in some
> way".  See http://wiki.osm.org/wiki/Tag:railway%3Dabandoned .
>
> And yes, if it's a "highway=track" now, you can of course map it as that
> as well.  If it's not visible (e.g. someone's build a factory on it) it's
> NOT "railway=abandoned".

Ah thanks, I stand corrected. railway=razed would be the tag to discuss.

The broader point is intact.

When making sense of abandoned bridges and oddly rounded buildings in
various places, it is super helpful
to see the context of the prior railroad grade.  It helps in mapping from
the air and on the ground.

A given railway grade may (and often does) exist as razed, abandoned,
disused, and reused (e.g. highway=residential or highway=service,
leisure=park) along it's length.  So how can we represent the former way,
and the current use of each bit,
in a rational way?