On 11/03/2015, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I assume a tower on a distant mountain is a survey_reference_object or
>> similar.  It certainly isn't a point.
>
> maybe the tower has a point defined (e.g. top of the antenna or a sign or
> similar) which could be a survey_point.

Here is a fine example of this case : http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/236843122
The description tag explains that the reference point is the base of
the christian cross on this bell tower. I think it makes sense of
mapping this this way : in a sense the whole building *is* the
man_made=survey_point. Adding a separate survey_point node would have
little benefit.

There are other examples like this one, but not all of them have a
neat description of where the precise survey point is on the
structure.

On the other hand, some ways look a bit pointless and could probably
be nodes, but a survey is needed to be sure:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/4041174
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/315474577