Hi,

I think that one good way to promote OSM is to teach the general public
to make references to the main Map <http://www.openstreetmap.org>.
I know persons writing to 100s of people who could write things like the
rendezvous is here
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/5013364?mlat=48.85783&mlon=2.29513#map=18/48.85826/2.29478>.
As well as webmasters, for example of Universities of which every
building can be mapped in detail.
Alas, they don't know well how to do that.

So, very welcomed by its co-authors, I improved this section in the
Browsing Help page
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Browsing#Adding_a_Marker>, some
other parts of that page and the French translation. I showed that, and
the writers were suddenly able to make links.
They wondered why [the heck] that page is unfindable and is not
highlighted as the help page of that map <http://www.openstreetmap.org>.
Generally, a program has a Help button to help using it, and sometimes
even a F1 key assignment.

So, I made that request to openstreetmap-website
<https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/871>.
I received a one man's reply, without any discussion, closing the issue
instantly and disregarding my reply.
It amounts to saying that what I and the other contributors of that page
have written is crap.
"Full of all sorts of hacky low level details" (like the essentials to
make a link to OSM.org).
Furthermore, that opinion extends to links to other wiki pages "full of
years works of ac[c]reted nonsense".
In order of appearance,  "zoom and pinch" (
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/en:Multi-touch#Multi-touch_gestures>Wikipedia),
"geolocation <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Geolocation>",
"Nominatim <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Nominatim>", "Mapping
projects <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mapping_projects>", "Cycle
Map <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenCycleMap>", "Transport Map
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Transport_Map>", "MapQuest
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/MapQuest> Open", "List of OSM-based
services
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/List_of_OSM-based_services>", "Map
Features <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features>",
"Key:highway <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway>", ...
Finally, that OSM.org map <http://www.openstreetmap.org> would "not be
intended for the end user" but "the target audience is mappers".

All that in the frequent style that I call "not", disparaging what
others did or think without a single constructive word about how to
improve it or what it should be.

I feel like being insulted instead of thanked (as well as many other
persons).

I have, of course, immediately stopped improving and translating the
OpenStreetMap documentation.
And I, who spent much time tagging, like the boundaries of south
Belgium, feel very much like stopping to participate to OSM entirely.

You may want to add your comments to that issue.

Best regards,

André.