Mt Fuji is a very special volcano. I should have used another example, but
everyone knows Fuji as a "cone".

Fuji is a stratovolcano on top of a shield volcano, hence the similar sloping
sides at the bottom. However, the cone from the halfway point is much steeper.

Pic from halfway up. Most of the mountain is about 30-45 degree angle.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/javbw/16807777459/
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/javbw/16807777519/

Geologic explanation for mt Fuji, one of my favorite websites -

http://www.glgarcs.net/topics/fuji/fuji_1.html

Stratovolcanoes and calderas that are old and erode away also develop softer
sides and a gentle slope like Mt. Akagi, which I like next to on the soft
debris slope on the center left of the pic. It exploded a couple hundred
thousand years ago ( and grew little cones and peaks since). That entire lump
is Mt Akagi - it is not a range - hence the peak naming issue.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Akagi (my photo for Akagi)

Volcanoes come in all shapes and sizes, but shield and stratovolcanoEd are the
two big ones.

With the amount of material Vesuvius put out, if it had a different lava type,
it would be *a lot* taller, if I understand things correctly.

And all of this is "as I understand it". Maybe some part is incorrect.

Javbw.

Sent from my iPhone