In my experience, rivers, unlike harbors, generally don't have buoys or other
markers showing the location of the navigational channel, probably because the
flow would be likely to wash them away.

On April 21, 2015 1:08:42 AM CDT, Paul Johnson <ba...@ursamundi.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 10:47 AM, John F. Eldredge
> <j...@jfeldredge.com>
> wrote:
>
> > The location of the deepest channel can change over time, as
> mudbanks or
> > sandbanks shift position. This is why commercial vessels operating
> on
> > rivers frequently rely upon a succession of pilots, each familiar
> with a
> > particular portion of the river. Unless an OSM mapper has surveyed a
> > portion of the river recently with a depth gauge, they would have to
> rely
> > on possibly-out-of-date information from some other map.
>

> At least to the navigable depth, in theory, this can be inferred from
> navigational markings for anyone familiar with the relevant fixtures,
> beacons and bouys.

John F. Eldredge -- j...@jfeldredge.com
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive
out hate; only love can do that." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.