The fire type is most important, but depending on the material used, it can be
used on several types -
So +1 for tagging the material first and foremost.

Most common household extinguishers in the US are dry powder ABC extinguishers.

At the bottom of the #united states section is a conversion chart - and they
all lead back to what _type of fire_ is trying to be put out:

Regular combustibles
Liquids
Gasses
Electrical
Metals
Fats

So my US ABC extinguisher in my garage would be:

Fire_extinguisher=dry_powder
Fire_extinguisher:regular=yes
Fire_extinguisher:liquids=yes
Fire_extinguisher:gasses=yes
Fire_extinguisher:electrical=yes
Fire_extinguisher:USA_code=ABC
Fire_extinguisher:checked_date:old
Colour=white

Optional for my extinguisher

Fire_extinguisher:cert_until:old
Fire_extinguisher:signed=no
Fire_extinguisher:metals=no
Fire_extinguisher:fats=no
Fire_extinguisher:label=no

My old ABC ones are white, so color doesn't always denote what is inside. Trees
are no label color codes in the U.S.  The letter codes change per location, so
noting if it is UK or NZ or US is important.

Many fire extinguishers in public places are signed.  In Japan they have
cabinets, cases, lockers, little stands with a sign, and ones with a cone hat
on top to keep the dust off. They have them everywhere in public buildings,
sitting in a corner in a little stand with a little sign on a little pole.

http://ec.midori-anzen.com/img/goods/L/4082101826.jpg

http://media.mediatemple.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/uploader/images/signs/fire-extinguisher-operating-guide/full_nagoya-shopping-mall-fire-extinguisher-operating-guide.jpg

Cataloging the check date could be very useful to some mappers. If it doesn't
have a pressure dial and is passed its expiration, it should be marked =old -
as it is assumed without inspection the extinguisher is old or expired, and may
not be reliable. If it has no pressure gauge and is expired, then it is very
important to tag =old/expired - but having used a couple expired ones to put
out a fire, I'm glad they were there.

For extinguishers with visible pressure gauges, the person collecting the data
is the checker, and therefore the data collection date is the check date, since
it can easily be seen on many fire extinguishers if it is correctly
pressurized.

Certified extinguishers have a cert tag that will note the date that the
extinguisher is certified to. People managing extinguishers might find that
really nice to know if they want to collect the data for their uses (like a
fire dept or something).

Javbw