The ones in Japan ( I have seen) are chains. Some routes are easily passible
without chains, some are beyond vertical in spots with the chain to climb. And
grandpas were climbing them with a pair of gloves.

occasionally there were big anchor rings used as handholds.

For the easier and crowded routes, no one out on the mountain in Japan had any
safety gear beyond a pair of leather gloves.

The The upper mountain routes were all serious climbing routes, beyond the help
of chains. Signs warning of death by falling were at the entrances to these
upper routes. A few people with climbing harnesses, helmets, and ropes were the
only ones on those routes.

The lower ones - with chains, with 20m diagonal slopes or 3m vertical drops on
the trail (and 50m vertical drops off the sides) were being climbed by people
in sneakers and garden gloves.

So just because there are chains, it doesn’t mean that a person would have any
additional gear. I was just carrying 10KG of camera gear for pictures.

Javbw