W dniu 13.05.2015 0:56, Bryce Nesbitt napisał(a):
Something that gets proposed from time to time is a tree hierarchy:
shop=food:bakery:muffins+sweets:cookie

So what are the reasons it does not catch up?

I think the downside of this example is that it would be tedious and too detailed for people to enter and thus more error prone - we should rely more on editors with validation rules then. In a "bricked", lightweight version it would be rather:

shop + muffins + cookies

because if we have the general category tree curated on the wiki, we don't have to explicitly repeat it inside each item's tagging.

That said the google approach would be to infer everything from text,
social and web linking analysis:
name=Fred's Bakery
website=http://freds.example.org/ [1]

As we already have these informations, we could just ignore the rest and make a big software effort to recognize the meaning. But that would be hard problem, involving parsing the websites. So it is for Google, but their strength is automatic big data analysis, and ours is multiple users with their own analysis powers. =}

I would also say Google has much lower expectations - they want the map to be just a part of their services ecosystem, especially for advertising locations, while we want the map to have all the items one can think of.

--
"The train is always on time / The trick is to be ready to put your bags down" [A. Cohen]