Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 6, 2015, at 11:20 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> If all mappers just map cycleways and don't care for access restrictions for
> pedestrians we end up with the same tags meaning different things.

That is very true - which means that assumptions based on country need to be
made by the routers, and presets that change based on mapping location need to
be made. ("German Cycleway" and cycleway come up when searching for cycleway
presets when mapping in Germany).

Just as we have a variance as to what is a "primary road" in a third world vs
first world nation, we can still have a consistent regional meaning to what is
a "primary" road. The same could be said of cycleway or footway.

What i consider a residential road in Japan might be thought of as an Alley in
the US because of differences in expectations in how wide, easy to navigate,
turn radius, pole placement, barriers and hazards, etc there are - beyond
simple residential access.

but we don't just make everything highway=yes and define the differences
through subtags.

There are even more specialized tags in residential - a living street, which is
a regional tag. Why not have highway=cycle-ped_path (and a couple others?) to
fill in common situations? They could be rendered purple (red+blue). A regional
mapper could choose the best one for their area.

But i still feel that going by assumed purpose (a sidewalk is a footway, a bike
path along a river is a cycleway) regardless of what is legal/permissive to use
the way for (add foot=yes or whatever as necessary) would better reflect the
"duck" qualities of the way being tagged.

The easiest short term solution is to fill in some kind of "trail" substitute
for true "trails" that are maintained, like rural hiking courses or narrow,
rough paths through nature,  which would take a lot of the "path through the
wilderness" burden off of =path, and set up for a change in rendering/meaning
for path in the future - if you don't need to tag =path on anything, then
eventually (a long time from now) it can be depreciated.

Javbw.