Hello,

+1 to Javbw. I'm completely same opinion & feeling of you.

"admin_level=3" is reserved bit for future "state".
I guess Japanese community has consensus on it, and AFAIK there was no
further discussion had be done.

I've took a look on "admin_level=3" edits.
Mainly done by him.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/etajin

sample.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/532759

He did many boundary & place & national park edits,
including some mistakes.

I had contacted him once via changeset comment, but I could not have
response.
(He can read Japanese, and meybe English.)

I'll mention this issue to talk-ja.
If you could got response from him, please tell us.

Regards,

> On Aug 11, 2015, at 9:35 PM, Andy Townsend <ajt1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> From there I'd link to where the Japanese community discusses boundaries
> (which might be the wiki, but often is somewhere else).
>

> Thanks for the help Andy I'll look over it in the morning. ^^
>
> The only "official" thing I have, and where I got the information for the
> admin level, is the wiki page I linked to for Japan tagging.
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Japan_tagging#Boundary
>
> Thanks again for the links!
>
> Javbw

Satoshi IIDA