I agree that highway=* can't imply quality globally, but it is documented
country by country how to tag certain types of roads, especially when there are
enough types of roads to need all the definitions of highway=*. Japan's tagging
page defines all the values and relates them to their region's system, from
motorway through path. I imagine each country or region has a how-to guide as
well to translate local conditions into basic highway=* types.

Perhaps mentioning after this addition that a mapper should refer to their
local tagging documentation in the wiki for a region, or ask a nearby mapper
for pointers if they have a question.

Like I pester you guys about. ^_^

Javbw