> On Aug 31, 2015, at 12:05 AM, Mateusz Konieczny <matkoni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> uilding=commercial is quite suspect.

To me, there are 2 basic types of mixed use buildings.

mixed_use_urban
And
mixed_use_house

There are so many different combinations of retail, residential, hotel, and
commercial (and in come cases, attraction) That as long as there is some kind
of residential space (apartments/condos), then it would be mixed_use_urban.
This is especially true if the public facing  part (the bottom floor or the
side towards the street) are non-residential use (a business/shop/not parking).

The second kind is very rare to see in America, but Japan is covered with them
- half-n-half houses: a mixed_use_home.

A house where a room or section of the ground floor is a business, and is
accessible from the house side, as there  is a Japanese-style house entrance
(with the raised floor and slippers) for the owner to go between the business
and their private residence. This is not an adjoining building, but a private
residence with a small business inside.

My dry-cleaning shop, most beauty salons/barbers, my favorite cafe,  my
physical therapist, most tobacco shops, and other small, family owned and
operated businesses can be operated out of a home in the middle of a
residential area or along a road that cuts through an area (so many barbers!)
or along a busy road - but are usually not found along side the bigger
mixed-use-urban buildings. The homes are standard 2 story houses, and the
business usually takes up 1/2 of the bottom.

As these are so different from the multi-floor urban-mixed 3-25 story apartment
buildings with shops, where the tenants are separate (the people living there
are not the operator of the shop downstairs, nor do they share access between
them).

So i suggest those two building types to denote these two basic types of mixed
use.

Javbw