On 20.09.2015 08:45, Pee Wee wrote:
> What do you think?
>
> Is is OK to have (walking) routes in OSM that have no visible marks on the
> ground and if so under what conditions?

First of all, we need to distinguish ways and relations. A path may be
visible or invisible, and a route may be actually marked/signposted or not.
So there are 4 possible combinations. You certainly mean relations for
unmarked routes consisting of visible paths, but let's have a look at the
opposite combination first: A relation for a marked trail with some section
where no path is visible (e.g. crossing a meadow). If we map only what is
"verifyable on the ground", as was suggested in some answers, we must not
map invisible paths. So we'd end up with incomplete relations that are hardy
routable, and whose statistics (length, heigth profile, % paved, etc.) are
incorrect. That's why most mappers do map those route segments even though
they are not verifyable on the ground. But hang on - are they really not
verifyable? There's a marked trail going off one end of the meadow, and a
marked trail going off the other side of the meadow. So we do see that the
route crosses the meadow. We do not see the invisible path, but we see that
there *is* an invisible path. It is verifyable or not, depending on how we
think about it.

I recently mapped a climbing route that is invisible from start to end. But
is has been documented in climbing guides for decades. I was able to
identify the rocks, ravines etc. described in the books. So the route is
verifyable on the ground - but only in conjunction with the climbing guides.
If all of these get lost in a fire, the verifyability will also be gone. But
hey, that's the same for the names of peaks, ridges, valleys etc. There's no
sign "Mount Everest" on the peak of the Mount Everest. The peak is
verifyable on the ground, its name is not. We map the names because they are
common knowledge. The climbing route I mapped has been common knowledge as well.

A hiking route suggested in one single book by one single author can hardly
be considered common knowledge, especially if the the route is just a
combination of paths that were already known before. That kind of routes do
not belong in OSM.

I should also mention that I did not create a relation for the climbing
route mentioned above. I just mapped the highway=path. Why would we need a
relation if the route is not marked, and all the other tags can be set on
the ways directly? Looking at the relations I found via your first link
(rel-id 2099391, 4108560), I wonder what tags are supposed to justify a
relation. What do ref=*, name=*, colour=* etc. mean when the route is
neither marked nor signposted in situ? Is ref=4b the page number in the
book? Is name=PP_5 the chapter in the book? Is colour=aqua the colour in the
book? What about isbn=978-2-930488-18-9? A route cannot have an ISBN. So
that's obviously the ISBN of the book. This is cleary a misuse of OSM. OSM
is a database for geographic data, not a book index. These relations need to
be removed, there's nothing to discuss about that.