Javbw

> On Sep 30, 2015, at 12:38 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> > addr:floor is about the address, "level" is used more often.
>>
>> When addr:floor=* was first proposed a few years ago, it had almost
>> the exact same semantics as level=*.
>>
>> Now, I'm using addr:floor=* to indicate the human-readable floor
>> information while level=* is used for the machine-readable number. For
>> example: addr:floor=Mezzanine Level and level=0.5
>

> +1, I'd see addr:floor as always in local units (the way it is called in the
> building and would be written on a letter), while level is the osm version,
> counting "levels" from ground floor=0 upwards and downwards.

Isn't addr:* for its postal / legal location definition?

What if the floor level is not part of its address? I think most
business/dwellings don't have floor in their address, which is why its usage
(152 for points) is so low. Most buildings hide that information in its room
number (1222 =floor 12 room 22).

This is why I suggested level:ref=*

You could tag however they are referred to (the ref part), which is often
independent of its address, and sometimes independent of level. Most mappers
rely on level=* to tag this info, and is probably sufficient for most. But
since we are talking about names and schemes that deviate from concentional
levels, level:ref would show this deviation, which is why it is a subset of
level. I guarantee you those shops addresses are something like suite/space
#270, and may or may not encode floor information, so addr:floor seems wrong to
me.

Also, level=2 to us in OSM is referred to as "2F" in signs for many Japanese
malls on signs and maps. Being able to give rendered. maps and data customers
the proper ref to display when more info is requested about the store (eg:click
on the icon, or however data customers wish to show additional info) would be
useful.

Mapping 2-3 malls' stores would go over the tag count of addr:floor quite
quickly.

Javbw