I don't think a landuse tag is sensible, as the salt flats I have in mind
(look up some images of Salar de Uyuni to get an impression) are definitely
not something human centered. However, it might be a good tag for some of
the smaller  areas where salt is actually harvested.

The combination of natural=water , intermittant=yes and salt=yes sounds
reasonable. I do think it is a bit confusing as the saltiness is more a
property of the lake bed when it dries out than of the water when it is
filled. Maybe adding that geological=salt_pan could clarify this enough.

I don't see how the natural=desert would be wrong because of the outline
not coinciding with the deserts' end. In fact, you could argue that the
desert does end at the salt's edge; there is a very sudden shift in
vegetation and barren-ness there. The "islands" within it are really like
oasis in the desert. But even if the argument does hold, why couldn't there
be a natural=desert / desert=salt surrounded by natural=desert /desert=sand
?

In South Americe, these things are just called Salar, or "salted". That's
for a reason: the salt is as much the defining feature here as water is in
a lake or tree cover in a wood. So natural=salt_flat might be worthy of
existing.

--
Joost @
Openstreetmap <http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/joost%20schouppe/> |