> On Oct 8, 2015, at 2:43 AM, Friedrich Volkmann <b...@volki.at> wrote:
>
> http://blog.al.com/breaking/2011/12/no_through_traffic_signs_in_ne.html.
> This case would be unthinkable here in Central Europe.

The police have no power because the road is public and built, so people are
legally allowed to drive on it. There is no division between locals and
visitors because we're all "public". Public roads are truly "public" roads.
Your "house" begins at your property line.

With this in mind, private roads, gated communities, and other privately owned
places exist in order to gate off road to (among other things)  stop
non-residents from cutting through.

Roads very often times have turn restrictions to avoid short-cutters near busy
intersections - but for roads leading into communities (for a long cut-through
between arterial roads), they really can't stop people from entering - and the
idea of checking drivers' licenses for residence information is unlawful stop
and search - what crime is the person committing by entering or exiting the
community how would the police be bale to tell who os a resident? Since there
is no assumption of a crime, a police stop AFAIK would be an illegal stop.

So new residential neighborhoods are very convoluted and full of dead ends to
make the through path longer and slower (and covered with stop signs) to deter
cutters.

Also - the police put a speed trap in the middle, as cutters are usually
speeding, so a 50mph in a 25mph residential street is a hefty ticket.

So no, there is no way to enforce "thru traffic" signs, but there are several
other ways to deter or eliminate cutters through other means, but old roads are
usually out of luck.

How do they enforce it in Europe? Stickers on cars? Stop and ask?

They use stickers/passes for parking on the street enforcement in
busy/congested places (near the beach, near colleges).

I live in Japan now, and I have to show my residence card upon request for any
reason by an official or police anywhere. Since I am not Asian, I have never
been asked.

In America, just stating "I am an American" is grounds for them to stop talking
to me and let me go even at a (somewhat illegal) "immigration checkpoint" they
do randomly on highways - it is against US law to detain a citizen for no
reason - Especially to check where they live.

Javbw