johnw wrote:
>> traffic_sign=changing
>> or
> >traffic_sign=variable
> The matrix displays and variable signs are very different.

> a matrix sign can become entirely different signs. They are also a  source
> for alerts and current info no matter the topic - whereas a variable sign
> for the speed limit is pretty limited to displaying a number value, or a

For what it's worth, the displays that started this thread are not
"traffic signs" in the sense that they don't show anything that a
driver must obey or even comprehend, but they only show info on
air and road temperature and traffic delays, sometimes textual
messages if an accident or roadworks ahead affect available
routes or capacity. The "real" variable traffic signs are similar to
those jonhw describes, that they can only display a limited set
of signs, which can affect the speed limit. I'd rather see that these
info displays are not traffic_sign=*, but anything else goes.

--
alv